Monday, December 16, 2013

Son Goku

My Dragonball Z fan art finally done...almost...
I was a fan of this anime when it hit Philippine shores in the late 1990's. It was refreshing to get to see cartoons be fun and yet have adventures and storylines again unlike most of the cartoons we've been importing from the US around this time which were mostly a series of gags per episode of poorly drawn characters.
Not long after Dragonball Z came out, I landed a job at the local satellite studio of Toei Animation - the company that produces this show- just in time to do assisstant animator work on Dragonball GT, SailorMoon S, Teacher Nube, Kindaichi, Kitaro and Hana Yori Dango.
I went on to do key animation work on One Piece, Pretty Cure, and Beet the Vandel Buster before I quit to try my luck having a studio of my own.
This piece is inspired by the Man of Steel movie. Watching the action sequences on Dragonball always used to make me think, "wow, if they ever make new Superman movies, the action has to be something like these with all the super powered beings he has to fight" and it seems that's exactly what they did.
I can't wait to see the repurcusions to Superman's career all the devastastion left behind in the wake of Kal-El fighting off the alien invaders when the sequel comes out.

0 comments: