Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Trying out new stuff: Typography

So, I've been living in a t-shirt printing shop for the past 7 or so months now.
It's part of an arrangement that had to be made to keep a roof above my head after I had to give up an apartment I couldn't afford to lease on my own after my nephew and niece migrated to the U.S.A. on my brother's petition.
The T-shirt printing gig is part of a business of a couple of friends of mine who offered a room in the shop as my new shelter with my services as an artist/designer in return.
It's a really good deal and not as bad as it may sound to some if you think about the state of artists in general.

I've learned a lot of new stuff that I can use to pad my humble portfolio and I've gotten an interest in something I only used to enjoy seeing in vintage poster designs or books and also a bit sparingly, on shirts - typography.

It seems to be getting more attention of late, hasn't it? because there more and more of it in books and advertising materials.

I started out with a simple typographic design for a t-shirt print that a friend asked me for. It was a short passage from the Christian bible, so adding some elements to the text and also adding slight changes to font style and size was a natural choice to make it more aesthetic and dynamic. I'm glad this first time was met with more approval than I expected.

 It was printed on a white shirt in plain blue ink without the stroke and borders as in the photo, and worked quite well.

I did a couple more designs for the same friend/client for shirts with some quotes from a famous local voice actor and businessman. The shirts were meant to be some sort of merchandise for this man's motivational speaking engagements which is why his quotes were used. I don't think it sold well enough for marketing factors but I still like what I came up with.


These are the actual vinyl-printed shirts as sold in a Christmas Bazaar at the Quezon City Circle.


0 comments: